March 30, 2020
Dear New York State Principal/Administrator,
Here are some NYS and NYC updates on questions we have been receiving:
New York State Updates:
1) April 1 Transportation Deadline Extended: The deadline for parent requests for transportation has been extended from April 1 until April 15. We do not believe the deadline will be extended further.
NYC Note – If you have already been receiving transportation services, including MetroCards you don’t have to do anything at this point. This is only for new schools who require transportation services for the coming year.
2) June 2020 Regents Examinations: The New York State Board of Regents has not yet made a decision about the administration of the June Regents examinations.
3) NPSE and AIS Deadlines: Currently, the deadlines for these programs are tomorrow, March 31. We understand that schools may need an extension and reached out to the New York State Education Department. SED will come to a decision after the NYS budget is enacted, hopefully later this week. Note that unspent NPSE and AIS funds usually roll over for the next school year.
4) Federal Nonprofit Security Grant Program (NSGP): As per information received this morning, the deadline for the NSGP will remain April 2.
New York City Updates:
1) NYS Loan Programs for School Year 2019-2020:
- The deadline for submitting NYSTL, NYSSL, and NYSLIB orders in the FAMIS portal has been extended to April 24.
- The deadline for computer hardware has been extended to April 17. If you are ordering computer devices for distance learning, please indicate on your order that it needs to be delivered now.
- The deadline for transferring funds is April 22.
- We have also asked that any unspent monies be rolled over until next year and are awaiting a response. You are therefore encouraged to spend all of your monies now. The DOE is working with vendors to see how delivery can be made.
2) Technology Devices – The DOE will be providing distance learning devices to all students with IEPs, including those in nonpublic schools. We will send out more information as soon as it becomes available.
3) Kosher Grab and Go – We have reiterated to the DOE in the strongest terms the need for kosher grab and go breakfasts, lunches and dinners for yeshiva students in locations where our community members reside. The DOE is still working on this.